Are bullying and obesity connected to growing children? Obesity and bullying in children have intertwining aspects. The tendency is that obese children either experience or impose abuse in schools. The connection makes the overweight children to be born both as victims and perpetrators of the bullying menace. No amount of diet orworkoutmachines.co.uk can solve this issue, and both parents and teachers have a role to play.
Why are overweight children a soft target for bullying?
The obese kids are more likely to be bullied since society disapproves their overweight conditions. They are either jeered openly or discreetly. The menace of bullying of young children doesn’t consider whether the child has any strong straights. Those who have skills or strong academic outputs will always be vulnerable as long as they are overweight.
Low self-esteem issues in obese kids are frequent which makes them be victims of bullying. Those with low self-esteem become prey to the perpetrators quickly.
According to research done in Italy in 2005 involving normal and overweight kids, the following findings are in the report:
- The obese kids are more likely to get bullied than healthy weight kids. The abuse directed to overweight children is generally related to their weights.
- The severely obese children are more likely to experience physical victimization.
- The overweight children are isolated and excluded from group activities in schools.
Why overweight children bully others?
According to most studies done in the past, most obese children are perpetrators of bullying. Their case is more complicated as they bully to reflect the same bullying they experienced in their life. They may also intimidate to deter others from actually bullying them. Obese children take advantage of their big size to overpower smaller children. They don’t see their oversize as the deficit but see it as an advantage to harass others.
The overweight bullies have inner conflicts within themselves. They display physical violence on one hand and feeling of inadequacy on the other side. These infight feelings make them release the pressure on their victims. Therefore, severely overweight children are more likely to bully normal weight kids.
What are the remedies to bullying among the children?
Controlling bullying among children is a big challenge. The challenge obese kids experience as a result of the emotional conflict requires to be solved first.
According to the National Crime Prevention Council, the following measures are for children undergoing bullying:
- Make the child aware that he should not blame himself for the overweight condition.
- Have regular talks with your child with the aim of knowing how he feels about it. The discussion helps in bringing down the emotions caused by the adverse side effects of bullying.
- Avoid confronting the parents of the child that victimizes your kid. Instead, speak the issue with your child’s teacher. If the bullying continues with no measures by the teacher, present the case to the principal for further actions.
- Train your child to be assertive and to always stand up for himself or herself verbally but not physically.
- Recognize your child’s strengths rather than flaws to build his or her confidence.
- For children that bully the rest, the following recommendations are necessary:
- Talk with your child to find out why he is intimidating the rest and get a remedy to the problem.
- Be a good role model for your child as children copy what their parents do.
- If your child has emotional issues, seek professional help.
In conclusion, there is a connection between obesity and bullying. However, you should approach the issue with a lot of care and compassion. You should also educate yourself about the relationship between bullying and obesity.